Monday, April 15, 2013

A is for Angels

A.  I must resist the urge to recite from one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books, "Big A, little A, what begins with A?" Come on, admit it, you did the same thing, right?

Today's inaugural post in the A to Z metaphysical challenge is about angels.  What better "A" word could their be in the realm of spirit?

Interestingly, the concept of angels seems to evoke a range of emotion and belief.  There are those that simply don't believe in angels at all.  There are others who believe they exist but on a plane that we cannot access.  Some believe they are beautiful, loving and good.  Some see them and talk to them.  Some receive and give message from them.  Some believe our deceased loved ones become angels.  Others believe if you claim to 'talk' to them, hear or see them, you are lying, crazy or delusional or perhaps even evil.

Angel comes from the Greek word aggelos, which means messenger.  There are many mentions of angels in the Bible and of their creation. To attempt to engage in a comprehensive discussion would result in a novel of my own.  Thus, I offer a definition and a tidbit of personal experience as food for thought.

By definition, according to dictionary.com

an·gel

  [eyn-juhl] 
noun
1.
one of a class of spiritual beings; a celestial attendant of God. In medieval angelologyangels constituted the lowest of the nine celestial orders (seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominations, ordominions, virtues, powers, principalities or princedoms, archangels, and angels).
2.
a conventional representation of such a being, in human form, with wings, usually in white robes.
3.
a messenger, especially of God.
4.
a person who performs a mission of God or acts as if sent by God: an angel of mercy.
5.
a person having qualities generally attributed to an angel, as beauty, purity, or kindliness.
6.
a person whose actions and thoughts are consistently virtuous.
7.
an attendant or guardian spirit.
8.
a deceased person whose soul is regarded as having been accepted into heaven.
9.
a person who provides financial backing for some undertaking, as a play, political campaign, orbusiness venture: A group of angels entered the mix, providing George the leverage he needed to take thestartup company in a new direction. Angels seek deals that they can exit in less than a decade.
10.
an English gold coin issued from 1470 to 1634, varying in value from 6s. 8d. to 10s. and bearing on itsobverse a figure of the archangel Michael killing a dragon.
11.
Slang. an image on a radar screen caused by a low-flying objectas a bird.


What is your concept of an angel?  Have you ever had an experience with one?  Do you fall into the group of people who believe or people who do not? Maybe you just are not sure?  It doesn't matter really, you believe what you believe and that's OK, because it resonates with you.

I have had personal experience with angels.  Probably many times without acknowledging it, especially as a child.  My most profound experience was the day Meghan died.  It was not an experience I asked for, was looking for or even ever wanted, even when in the middle of it.  It was vivid, real and powerful.  Even a bit frightening, though not in a scary sense, just in a "holy s*it, did that really just happen!?" sense.

Are you skeptical of that?  If I hadn't experienced it myself, I wouldn't have believed me, either!  There was absolutely no mistake I had a conversation with two energetic beings, while outside of my physical body myself, that exuded love and light.  It was a telepathic and energetic conversation, not a verbal one.  I *knew* them yet I couldn't tell you who they were.  They were familiar.  I knew why they were there.  I received information, I reacted with human emotion but I *understood* on a soul level what was being said to me, what was happening and why.  I *had* to listen, even though the human part of me wanted to get back in my body and convince myself it was all a crazy dream.  It wasn't.  I know for a fact it wasn't.  It was a powerful experience that left me with both a sense of peace and understanding as much as it left me feeling confused, angry on some level and doubting the entire experience.  It sent me on a spiritual journey of growth and self-discovery that has led me to this moment in time.

My personal belief is that there are angels in the spirit realm.  They are not 'people'.  They are not our deceased loved ones.  Any reference I make to Meghan being an angel is not a literal one.  It is more an appealing to conventional beliefs one.  She is not a true angel.  She is simply a spirit being now.

Angels exude an energy of purity, love and light.  That doesn't mean they always have 'good' news for you.  It just means their purpose is to guide you toward your greatest good, your life's purpose.  To remind you why you are living this earthly life and what your lessons are or could be. You must ask for their guidance, they don't  force things upon you.  You must listen for and to the answer.  You can choose to ignore it, follow the guidance or something in between.  They are not judgmental.  They are messengers of spirit.  Guides along the path of enlightenment.  They encourage you to reject ego and listen to your inner wisdom, your higher self, your soul.  To do that which is right action.  The choice, is yours.

Do they have a negative counterpart?  Sure.  There is balance to everything.  I'm sure there exist 'fallen angels' or those whose energy is lower, darker and lead us to listen to our ego rather than our higher selves and our heart.  Some would say the 'devil' energy. Satan.  You know, those folks who say it's Heaven or Hell.

We always have free will.  We can ask and choose what guidance we want, what we choose to receive and how we choose to use it or not.  We can choose to listen to the negative energy, to bring it into our lives and to put it out to the Universe.  It's not ideal or healthy, but it's a valid choice and many people choose it. Or we can choose love, light, positive energy and focus on the greater good.  Ah, being human has so many perks...

After being interested in understanding the angels and archangels for quite some time, I've been strongly guided that now is the time to follow that calling. I don't know why now is the time, but it is. I've been nurturing my relationship with spirit and the angelic realm.  I am called to using oracle cards as a divination tool.  Both to learn about the angels and to ask for their guidance in my journey in this life.  I've dabbled in playing with the angel cards for years.  I suddenly and quite unexpectedly found myself taking two courses in Angel Oracle and Angel Tarot card reading in the past few weeks.  Completely spontaneously and with great passion.  It was time.  It literally just happened.  I was guided to do it and I did.  Without hesitation.  It feels like the right thing to do.  It didn't  before.  It absolutely does now.  It always fascinates me when that happens.  It's meant to be a tool to share with others.  A way to advance my life's purpose. To be my best self.

I am still learning about the angels and all they have to offer us through their lessons and messages.  I am growing confidence. I am guided to leave this post with a reading.  I ask, what do the angels want my readers to know?

I chose Doreen Virtues Angel Therapy Deck.  The card I drew is called "God Box".

This comes up often.  I think it is something everyone can and should do regardless of personal spiritual or religious belief.  It is a lesson in awareness.  Of letting go.  Of recognizing that which is not serving you for your greater good.

The message is to put your worries and fears in a safe place and let them go.  Ask for help from God or whatever higher power you believe in.  Write them down, make a list and then place it in a special box, burn the list, bury it, place it in  the freezer or otherwise symbolically dissolve those worries and fears away.

Replace them instead with positive affirmations.  What you do want to bring into your life?  What or whom are your prayers for? Focus on manifesting what you want, not what you are afraid of or do not want.  Let go and let love.

Namaste.




No comments:

Post a Comment