Monday, September 16, 2013

I ran 10 miles!!!!

Holy runner's high!  I'm beginning to see how runners become addicted to this sport.

Yesterday I surprised myself.  I accomplished something I never thought I would until recently.  I ran 10 miles!  In a row!  And I lived to tell about it!

I'd like to personally hug Jeff Galloway, because without him, I never would have gotten past 5K.  My body just can't run non-stop.  I've tried.  I've failed.  It's probably where my dislike of running came from in the first place.  I'm following his half-marathon training plan (to finish in an upright position).  It was supposed to be a 9.5 mile run, but I wanted the 10, so I went for it.  I ran the entire 10 miles with a run:walk ratio of 90 sec run and 30 sec walk.  I ran it on a relatively flat course with long, gradual hills here and there, much less hilly then my neighborhood loops.  I even ran through the cemetery and visited my daughter's 'special place'.  I did take a 60 second break to spend a minute with her.  It was serene.  My time was 1:51:11 which averages out to an 11:07 pace.  My first mile was about a 10 min mile.  I gradually slow down with distance, but my overall pace is faster than it was when I was running shorter distances!  The last 1.5 mile was tough, I was tired, but I was determined.
Uh-oh.  Is that competitive drive I hear in my words.  
Who am I?

I started my run at 7 am.  It was 48 degrees and a gorgeous sunny morning.  Well, the sun wasn't quite 'up' yet, but it was a clear, crisp, fall morning.  Near perfect weather to run in. So much better than the heat and humidity of the past few months.  Runkeeper is my companion as is my half-marathon running mix.  I wear one ear bud when running on the road and keep the volume low.  I had a Cliff shot mocha and a Zico chocolate coconut water before I ran and another Cliff shot about mile 4.5-5.  I wore my water belt and consumed all my water but it was just enough.  I wore my Skirt Sport tank and running skirt. Love them!  I started out with a light sweatshirt for the first 2 miles, but shed it after that.  I do understand the benefit of running sleeves now.  I might have to invest in a pair.

I am proud of me!  I rewarded myself with a cider doughnut!  OK, two of them.  :-)

Next up, a local 5K on the occasion of a running buddy's 40th birthday!  Yay! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for publishing this blog here to understand the all the things about running, Unfortunately I can't running because I am taking a marketing homework help USA-style from online and that's why I am busy with that, soon I will be free from this and I start running again.

    ReplyDelete